New Year can be a trying time, with festive weight-gain at the forefront of many people’s minds. But January doesn’t have to be a treat-free month. There are plenty of ways to enjoy desserts without piling on the pounds.
Below is a recipe for skinny lemon cupcakes that is not only easy to make, but is much lower in calorie-content than most. Don’t be sour, grab your flour and give it a try!
- 200g self-raising ﬂour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 100g blueberries
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 50ml sunﬂower oil
- 100g icing sugar
- 5 tsp fresh lemon juice
- To prepare, preheat your oven to 180° and line a 12-hole deep muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the bicarbonate of soda and flour and stir in the blueberries, lemon zest and sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth and then beat in the milk, yoghurt and oil until evenly mixed. Stir into the flour mixture until very lightly combined.
- Quickly separate the batter between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven for around 18 minutes until the cakes are risen and golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and drizzle over the cupcakes one by one. Leave to set for 30 minutes and then serve!