Whilst many people fear macarons, worrying that they’re difficult to make, the truth is they’re not as daunting as most people think! For those of you who fancy having a go at mastering the art of the macaron, Destiny Foods has compiled an easy macaron recipe for beginners.
150g of unsalted butter
175g of icing sugar (75g for filling)
55g of caster sugar
100g ground almonds
2 medium egg whites
A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (or 140°C for fan assisted ovens)
- Sieve the icing sugar and the ground almonds into a mixing bowl and mix the two together
- Whisk the egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until they form soft peaks
- Add the caster sugar to the egg whites bit by bit and continue to whisk until glossy and thick
- Gently stir in the icing sugar/almond mixture until the mixture becomes quite loose
- Fill a piping bag with a 1cm nozzle with the macaron mixture and lay down a baking sheet
- Pipe small blobs onto the sheet (you can use a macaron template maker to perfect the shape)
- Leave to dry for 20 minutes until the surface of the macaron is shiny and smooth
- Bake the macarons for 15 minutes, releasing some air half way through until they are firm and risen
- Leave on a cooling rack until completely cool (removing whilst still warm will break them)
- For the filling, beat the butter until it is fluffy and beat in the icing sugar
- Place ½ a tsp of the filling on the flat side of one of your macarons and sandwich together with another macaron to create a bond
- Refrigerate for 24 hours to cement the bond
And voila! Your macarons are ready for you to indulge and enjoy!
N.B. – You can add colourings and flavourings in the mixing process to create a variety of interesting macarons!